Wednesday, January 22, 2014

library stacks


library day_
One of my favorite places in all the land is the library. Maybe that sounds nerdy, but it's true. I'm owning it. 

Nerdy is the new black. Or something. 

Back in the day, I used to work in the children's department of a local library and it was a match made in paperback heaven. I got to read and chat it up about books like it was my job. And it was. Also, I never had to pay late fees, which is a dream come true for a girl who can't seem to return anything on time. 

Oh, I miss that job! So to fill the card-catalog-sized hole in my heart, I browse the stacks of our library once a weekish. I always pull up my ever growing Amazon "good reads" wishlist on my phone and hunt down the titles that catch my eye. Si tags along most of the time and marches behind me with his arms full of Mo Willems and Star Wars and Jan Brett. Then we do story-time or music class and hang out in the kiddo area flipping pages and playing trains. He loves it, of course. I'm raising my boy right. 

Since I dig talking books, I thought I'd share this week's library stack. I can't give a thumbs up or down just yet for all of these as I'm slowly working through them. 

Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food // This book changed my life, dears. No joke. Life changer. Here's a quote. >> I had to get honest enough to admit it: I relied on food more than I relied on God. I craved food more than I craved God. Food was my comfort. Food was my reward. Food was my joy. Food was what I turned to in times of stress, sadness, and even in times of happiness. << Hellllooooo conviction. This book opened my eyes to the way I have used food, instead of God, to fill gaps and holes, and in those situations I'm always left wanting. My cravings should always be for Him, more of Him, not more chocolate. He is the only one who can truly satisfy. UPDATE! My girl, Sarah, is giving away a free copy over on her blog. Check it out! 

Where'd You Go, Bernadette // A few friends have recommended this novel to me and I'm itching to start it. I heard it's a unique, delightful, and witty read. 

The Giver // I'm scratching my head as to why I never was assigned to read this in elementary school?? Word on the street is that it's going to be made into a film. I have a firm rule that books must be read before I head into the theater (or Redbox) and I'm sticking to it. 

The Husband's Secret // This is the read of the month for my fab sister-in-law's book club. She was telling me all about their group over Christmas and now I'm green with jealousy. I want a fun book club! I appointed myself an honorary member. I mean, I am reading the same book. 

Gone Girl // I'm about a third of the way through this thriller and can't flip the pages fast enough. I did have to quit reading it at night before bed, though, because it was giving me weirdo dreams. Be warned, it is not a lighthearted book and it doesn't use the cleanest language (swear word alert!), but the story is intriguing and twisted and I'm on the edge of my seat. Oh, and Ben Affleck is set to play the main role in the upcoming movie. I sorta like him. 

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking // I started this in the fall but had to return it to the library before finishing it. I'm fascinated with personality and behavioral traits, self quizzes and the like, so this book is right up my alley. I've always thought of myself as the introverted extrovert, an equalish balance of both since I am a child of one of each. This book is giving me a lot to ponder. 

That's it for this stack! What are you reading, friends? Do share! 


10 comments:

  1. I love when blogs "talk books"! Thanks for the recommendations...adding several to my list. Just finished "Longbourn"...a cross between Downton Abbey and Pride and Prejudice. Halfway through "War Brides" now. Both are very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person in the last week who's recommended Longbourn. Adding that one now!

      Delete
  2. A few friends and I started a book club last year -- it's so fun!! Right now, though, I'm reading a biography of Huey P. Long (can't remember the author), The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and The Beloved Disciple (really a Bible study more than a book). I usually just read one book at a time, but I can't figure out which book to put down, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so,so hard to read just one at a time! :) I usually have two going - one novel, one nonfiction. I'm going to check out the books you shared!

      Delete
  3. If loving the library and going their regularly makes you nerdy, I'm one too! I love books and the library is one of my favorite places. Thanks for the book suggestions - I'm adding those to my list! And what I'm reading now - The Happiness Project (I just finished her second book - Happiness at Home - which was great) and a couple novels by Kate Morton (new-to-me author). I'm always reading about homeschooling too and adoptive parenting...seems there is a book (or e-book) on one or both of these topics by my bed. I would love to be in a book club too. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nerds unite. ;)

      I read The House at Riverton last year by Kate Morton. It was GOOD!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yay! Glad it's got the Shannan Martin stamp of approval. :)

      Delete
  5. Well you know I am a HUGE fan of the library! Working at ours now almost 13 (gasp!) years! I miss working the floor now that I'm up in an office all day - I don't get to discover new titles all day long anymore - so thank you! Going to check some of these out. The Giver is one of my all time favs - and Gone Girl was one of my favs from last year - enjoy!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. That's it. I'm moving near you so we can start a book club. That would be HEAVEN. :) The library is hands down my favorite place to be, and it is quickly becoming my girls' favorite place as well - which makes me terribly happy.

    Adding to my list now that I have seen your! Did you finish Gone Girl yet?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails